Just for fun, we have compiled a list of fun facts about dogs that you probably don’t know!
1. Dogs have 18 muscles in each ear.
2. Dogs have a sense of time and can predict future events, such as regular walk times
3. The average dog is about as smart as a human two-year-old; knowing roughly 250 words and gestures
4. Dogs can feel jealously and will feel it when you give love to other creatures
5. The United States has the highest dog population in the world with roughly 75.8 million pet dogs!
6. Petting a dog and staring into their eyes releases oxytocin, the chemical that plays the role in social bonding. This is where the term “man’s best friend” take a literal meaning!
7. Dachshunds were originally bred for the purpose of fighting off badgers.
8. Spayed and neutered dogs live longer than dogs that aren’t.
9. More than half of the US presidents have owned a pet dog.
10. Dogs can smell a human’s feelings, which is why they’re more compassionate when you’re sad, scared, etc.
11. Dogs can sniff out cancer in a human’s breath
12. Dogs need to sniff out a perfect place to poop because they naturally need to poop in alignment with the Earth’s magnetic field.
13. Dogs sleep curled up in balls as a natural protection to their vital organs.
14. Labs have been the most popular dog breed in the United States for the last 26 years.
15. There are approximately 600 million dogs in the world, but around 400 million of those are strays.
16. The first known dog is believed to be a large Siberian Husky.
17. The Basenji is the only breed of dog that can’t bark.
18. A dog is currently the mayor of Cormorant, Minnesota.
19. Dogs can see in black, white, blue, and yellow.
20. Bloodhounds can trace scents that are up to 300 hours old! That’s 12.5 days!
21. Dogs can see four times farther than humans can.