Just like humans, animals can react in different ways after being stung by a bee. And while it is usually not life threatening, it is good to know how to distinguish the difference between an itchy lump and a need to go to the emergency veterinarian. 

After a pet is stung, reactions can take place in various levels, from mild to extremely allergic. Redness, swelling, and or hives/large bumps may appear, and will usually be the only physical symptoms. If a dog is stung in the face, for example, you’d definitely notice, as the spot would most likely puff up in reaction. If the reaction is mild, there may be tenderness or itchiness for a few days, but it’ll pass without much hindrance. 

After a pet is stung, Benadryl is used most often to relieve the itchiness and inflammation. It’s important to give your pet specific pet Benadryl or Aspirin, or talk to your vet first, as human medicine is given in completely different doses and too much can harm animals severely.

If you notice that the pet has developed a hot spot in the infected area, watch it closely to make sure it remains clean, as the pet will be prone to licking and scratching at it, which may cause infection. 

Although bee stings usually aren’t very serious, it’s important to monitor your pets for any symptoms that may occur. In most cases, they’ll be fine to proceed throughout their day as normal afterwards, but of course there are extreme cases where a pet should be taken to the vet immediately. You know your pet best, and tuning into their behaviors and noticing if something is off is usually the best medicine to making sure they’re okay. 

As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to your local pet store if you have questions on this or any pet related topic.