Do you think you know everything about your furry feline friend? Think again!
We’ve scoured a slew of reliable sources, and compiled a list of fascinating cat facts.
- A group of kittens is called a “kindle.”
- Contrary to popular belief, many cats are actually lactose intolerant.
- Cats were first brought to the Americas in colonial times to get rid of rodents.
- Cats can jump up to six times their length.
- Cats have 230 bones, while humans have 206.
- When a cat sticks their bum in your face, it’s a gesture of friendship.
- Cats have an extra organ that allows them to actually taste scents on the air.
- A cat’s gait is similar to a camel or giraffe. They move both right feet first, then both left feet.
- Male cats are more likely to be left-pawed, and female cats are more likely to be right-pawed.
- Cats typically sleep for 12-16 hours a day.
- Cats are most active at dawn and dusk.
- Cats dream, just like people.
- Cats can spend up to 50 percent of their waking hours grooming themselves.
- Cats find it threatening when you make direct eye contact with them.
- When a cat exposes their belly, it’s a sign they’re trusting and relaxed.
- When a cat wags their tail at you, it’s their way of telling you they are annoyed.